Free Tax Prep Coming on February 9th

The tax season is just around the corner and although COVID-19 has removed our ability to complete tax returns face to face, the volunteers for the Meskwaki site will still be helping this year at the Tribal Center gym. Individuals will complete the necessary paperwork and will then wait on the bleachers while the volunteers process the return. We have to follow this process as the sponsors of the program, AARP, require us to adhere to the national rules in place. If COVID numbers drop significantly in our area, then we can return to in-person appointments. The IRS started accepting returns on January 24, 2022. Services will begin on Wednesday February 9th. There will only be two days of service provided per week this year but we will try to accommodate others as much as possible. Appointment times will be Wednesday from 1pm – 8pm and Fridays from 9am – 4pm. Everyone will be expected to wear a mask for entry and follow all physical distancing guidelines.

Individuals can call the Tribal Center at 641.484.4678 to set up an appointment with the receptionist.

Individuals can plan on bringing all necessary documents including: photo ID, social security cards for anyone on the return, all tax documents including but not limited to: W-2’s (work), 1099-MISC (typically per cap, minor’s trust payouts, powwow winnings) 1099-NEC (contractor earnings), W-2G (gambling winnings), statement from casino to offset winnings if player’s card used, any other tax documents, direct deposit information including name of bank, account type, routing and account number, and a copy of your 2020 and 2019 tax return. We will also need to know if you and/or your dependents received the $1,400 stimulus payment in 2021 and any advance child tax credit payments. You should have received Letter 6419 from the IRS indicating any advanced payments received. This letter includes the total amount of advance child tax credit payments taxpayers received in 2021 and the number of qualifying children used to calculate the advance payments. People should keep this and any other IRS letters about advance child tax credit payments with their tax records. We will also need a current phone number to contact you for any questions.