OPEN TO THE PUBLIC: The Meskwaki Health Clinic is able to schedule ANYONE wishing to receive a COVID-19 vaccination 16 years old (with parental consent) and older.
Clinics scheduled for the week of April 12 through April 17:
- Tuesday 4/13 – Pfizer Prime, 3 PM – 7 PM at Meskwaki Health Clinic
- Wednesday 4/14 – Pfizer Prime, 9 AM – 3 PM at Tama Civic Center
- Thursday 4/15 – Pfizer Prime, 3 PM – 7 PM at Meskwaki Health Clinic
- Saturday 4/17 – Pfizer Prime, 10 AM – 2 PM at Meskwaki Casino (Drive-up)
IF YOU’D LIKE TO SCHEDULE AN APPOINTMENT, PLEASE CALL THE FOLLOWING NUMBERS:
(641) 481-1155 – FOR SPANISH
Meskwaki Travel Plaza will be hosting a Spring Cookout on Saturday, April 17 from 11:00 am until 1:00 pm in the Travel Plaza Parking Lot.
Purchase a hamburger or hotdog with chips and a drink for $5.00
There will also be cornhole and prizes for kids!
Also, Meskwaki OrganiX will have a booth set up to answer your questions and give out samples of their oils and topicals! Save 15% off purchases of Meskwaki OrganiX labeled items the entire day! Come early and get a t-shirt, limited quantities available.
- Participants will walk/run on their own time during the week of April 19-23.
- There will be signs posted on various routes.
- Everyone will have an opportunity to win prizes!
- Upon completion of the event, participants will be contacted to arrange the pick-up of goodie bags and/or prizes.
- *More details to come!
Cooking class with Fareway Dietitan Caitlyn Ferin, RD, LD. Learn how to make Sesame Chicken Pizza and California-Style BBQ Chicken Pizza
*Must sign up by April 7 at Noon.
Participants will need to pick up their ingredients on April 20th to make recipes at home.
The next scheduled Tribal Council Meeting has been postponed and rescheduled for April 28th.
2021 PTEC – Promoting Tribal Economies and Community
COHORT BEGINS: April 26, 2021 – 5 openings available
PTEC is a workforce program from Meskwaki Community members interested in enhancing their workplace skills and learning about food, farming and related business.
Who is eligible?
- Meskwaki Tribal Community members and other Native Americans within the community are invited.
Important details to know:
- Accepting applications for five (5) openings
- Longer season, through November
- 3 positions at Red Earth Gardens (REG)
- 2 positions at Food Sovereignty
- 20 hours of classroom training
- On-the-job training for duration
- Transportation available
- Certification upon successful completion of program
Application/intake forms are available at the Tribal Center Front Desk and HR Office.
Completed applications can be returned to the Workforce Development Office located at: 3134 H Ave, Tama IA 52339.
In an effort to mitigate the spread of Covid-19 within our valued tribal community, interested persons are highly encouraged to get vaccinated. PTEC and the Workforce Development office will continue to follow all protocols such as requiring masks at all times, checking temperatures when visiting tribal offices, socially distancing and frequent hand washing.
If you have any questions please contact Stephanie Snow, Workforce Education Coordinate at (641) 481-1855.
Take and Make Facebook Live Event – We will show you how to make Roasted Veggies!
*Must sign up by April 14 at Noon.
Participants must pick up ingredients on April 27 to make recipe at home!
Tribal Council meeting has been rescheduled to April 28th at 5 PM via zoom. Contact the Tribal Secretary for information.
Meskwaki SettFit Step Into Summer Challenge
Beginning May 3rd through June 13th.
Points will be awarded daily: Steps Only (Walking or Running)
Join the Meskwaki Sett-Fit Challenge Facebook Group for more details on the Step Into Summer Challenge or sign up online here: https://app.wellable.co/
Meskwaki Public Works Hydrant Flushing Week: May 3-7, 2021
Hydrant Flushing is done (twice a year) to enhance water quality by:
- Flushing sediment from the water mains.
- Verifying the proper operation of hydrants and valves.
- Ensuring firefighting capability.
During Hydrant Flushing:
- There may be a temporary drop in water pressure at this time.
- Water may be rusty or cloudy. Discolored water is not harmful and will clear up in a few hours.
- Do not wash white laundry during this period (wait until cold and hot water are both running clear before laundering whites).
- Avoid washing laundry during scheduled Flushing times. Wait until the water runs clear at the tap, and then wash a load of dark clothes first.
Some information on what to do after the Hydrant Flushing:
- If tap water is used during flushing, it could come out full of sediment that causes discoloration. If you encounter discoloration, run cold water for a few minutes allowing new water to work its way into your pipes. If the water is clear, it’s OK to use. If not, wait for a few minutes and check again. This discoloration only affects the appearance of the water; it does not affect the taste or water quality.
- If pressure or volume seems low, check your faucet screens for trapped particles.
For questions, contact Meskwaki Public Works at (641) 484-4600.
Bringing Awareness to All Types of Cancer with a Virtual 5K Walk/Run
Sign up anytime between May 3rd through May 17th.
To register or for any questions, please all Ashley at 641-484-9426 or message her on Facebook at: https://www.facebook.com/ashleyaylsworth.healtheducator.1
All participants will receive a FREE t-shirt!
Complete you 5k Walk/Run any day from May 17th through May 28th, and then submit your time/route to Ashley.
Notice of School Board Election
On March 15, 2021 the Election Committee of the Sac & Fox Tribe of the Mississippi in Iowa approved the motion to schedule a School Board Election for the Meskwaki Settlement School for five (5) open positions.
The School Board Election scheduled for May 4, 2021 in the gymnasium at the Sac & Fox Tribal Center on the Meskwaki Settlement from 8:00 AM – 8:00 PM is herby CANCELLED.
Section 8-4409 (f) of Title 9. Code of Sac & Fox Tribe of the Mississippi in Iowa which states: In the event that there are five (5) or less qualified candidates for school board identified after any deadline imposed by this code for nomination there shall be no need to conduct an election and those members shall automatically be selected as school board members. If necessary, respective terms shall be determined by the school bard members and if the school board cannot determine, the Tribal Council will.
Therefore; the following individuals, having completed the nomination process in accordance with Chapter 4A. School Board Election of Title 8. Election Code of the Sac & Fox Tribe of the Mississippi in Iowa are automatically selected as school board members for the Meskwaki Settlement School:
- Shoshonis Brown
- Amanda Davenport
- Dara Jefferson
Furthermore, Section 8-4409 (g) of Title 8. Election Code of the Sac & Fox Tribe of the Mississippi in Iowa states: In the event there are less than five (5) qualified candidates for school bard identified after any deadline imposed by the code for nomination, the Tribal Council shall have the authority to appoint any number of individuals up to five (5) to be on the school board in any manner as they deem proper and that is not inconsistent with Chapter 8 of this code for as many positions necessary to have a full school board.
This notice shall be posted at the Tribal Offices, the Meskwaki Elementary School, the Meskwaki High School, and mail the same notice to all eligible voters. In addition, the Committee shall cause the notice to be published in any Tribal publications and the notice shall be sent to the office of the Superintendent of the Meskwaki Settlement School, where the notice shall be sent to all parents/guardians of students currently attending the Meskwaki Settlement School.
Pick up your Diabetes Bingo Card and let us know your email address so we can send you the Zoom link.
The next Tribal Council Meeting has been scheduled to be held on Wednesday, May 5, 2021 beginning at 5:00 pm via Zoom.
Due to Covid-19 and for the safety of participants, this meeting will be held via Zoom.
*Meetings are held on a bi-weekly basis.
**Meeting dates/times are subject to change at the discretion of the Tribal Chairman.
9:00 am Meskwaki Health Clinic Covid-19 Vaccination Clinic @ Tama Civic Center
Meskwaki Health Clinic Covid-19 Vaccination Clinic @ Tama Civic Center
Apr 14 @ 9:00 am – 3:00 pm
OPEN TO THE PUBLIC: The Meskwaki Health Clinic is able to schedule ANYONE wishing to receive a COVID-19 vaccination 16 years old (with parental consent) and older. Clinics scheduled for the week of April 12 … Continue reading Meskwaki Health Clinic Covid-19 Vaccination Clinic