- This event has passed.
September 26 @ 8:00 am - September 30 @ 4:30 pm
Public Works will begin Hydrant Flushing September 26, 2022 until September 30, 2022.
Hydrant flushing is done twice a year to enhance water quality by:
– Flushing sediment from the water mains.
– Verifying the proper operation of hydrants and valves.
– Ensuring firefighting capability.
During Hydrant Flushing:
– There may be a temporary drop in water pressure at this time.
– Water may be rusty or cloudy. Discolored water is not harmful and will clear up in a few hours.
– Do not wash white laundry during this period (wait until cold and hot water are running clear).
– Avoid washing laundry during scheduled Flushign times. Wait until the water runs clear at the tap, and then wash a load of dark clothes first.
Additional information on what to do after the Hydrant Flushing:
– If tap water is used during flushing, it could come out full of sediment that causes discoloration. If you encounter discoloration, run cold water for a few minutes allowing new water to work its way into your pipes. If water is clear, its OK to use. If not, wait a few minutes and check again. This discoloration only affects the appearance of the water; it does not affect the taste or water quality.
– If pressure or volume seems low, check your faucet screens for trapped particles.
If you have any questions or concerns please contact Meskwaki Public Works at (641) 484-4600.