Improving the health and wellness of all community members, by working to reduce diabetes in the Meskwaki Community.
To eliminate diabetes as a major health concern among the Meskwaki Community by preventing diabetes and diminishing complications of diabetes through:
- Physical activity opportunities
- Nutrition education opportunities
- High-quality diabetes care and education through a team concept which includes coordination of clinical, community, and educational services
- Partnership within the community organizations and community members
What We Do
Our care includes the following:
- Diabetes testing and basic care supplies for all diabetes patients
- Diabetes shoes for patients with a prescription
- Coordination and participation in program events, such as walk/runs
- Podiatry Clinic available for all patients (three times a month)
- Quarterly Diabetes Support Group meetings for all patients
- Annual Fall Health (Acanthosis Nigricans) screening for all local Native American students
- Acanthosis Nigricans test to see if there is a risk for diabetes
- Annual Spring Health Fair for all community members
- Annual Audit of diabetes patients
Diabetes Program Events
- Take and Make Cooking demo on March 24 at 2 PM via the Meskwaki Wellness’s Facebook page. Jennifer and Health Educator Ashley Aylsworth be going “live” to showcase a quick and easy breakfast.
- March 31 at noon the Diabetes Prevention Program will be playing Diabetes bingo virtual on zoom. (Contact Jennifer to obtain your bingo card.)
Our Program Staff
Contact the Meskwaki Nation
Get in touch with our main office if you have general questions or need assistance finding the correct department to contact.